Carbon monoxide (CO) is a dangerous gas released as a byproduct of combustion that is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. What makes CO unsafe is, even though it bonds to blood cells like oxygen, it does not provide oxygen to the body and eventually causes tissue damage and even death. According to the CDC, more than 20,000 people are sent to the emergency room each year because of Carbon Monoxide, with more 400 resulting in death. “CO is found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel in cars or trucks, small engines, stoves, lanterns, grills, fireplaces, gas ranges, or furnaces,” (CDC).
If CO builds up inside a house, symptoms can include:
Dizziness, nausea or vomiting
- Physical weakness
Fortunately, Carbon monoxide poisoning is highly avoidable. There are several kinds of CO detectors to notify you about the levels of CO in the air and even to help locate the source of the leak. They work by sounding an alarm when levels of CO get too high. For the best effectiveness, there should be one in every bedroom and near furnaces or stoves.
If you are thinking about getting a CO detector,contact PowerTechnics. Consultations are free.